- It allows smart cards to be changed after they have been issued, with new or modified applications and security enhancements to existing applications.
- Card Management Systems capabilities are greatly enhanced.They can now directly address card and terminal application behaviour.
- System Integrators can deliver and manage change to card and terminal applications in a fraction of the time and with a fraction of the effort and cost when compared to conventional approaches and technologies.
- Allows the niche marketing of new applications to card carriers who may initially have received their smart card for a ‘mass’ application such as payment or transport.
- Offers a migration path for those with existing smart card technology to move to the next generation of multi-application smart card solutions and management.
How does Multefile™ manage post issuance card updates?Irrespective of the platform on which it is running, each Multefile™ smart card has two modes of operation. On one hand, it has the normal operational mode during which it behaves as a normal smart card member of the scheme. On the other hand, it has a management mode, where updates can be delivered to the Multefile™ card, targeted at either a particular application on the card, to the entire scheme or to an individual smart card. All updates are protected by cryptography standards matching those used within the UK banking industry.